Playing First Base – Holding RunnersBy
Holding runners at first base
- Holding runners on is part of the game.
- The first baseman should stand with their knees bent and watching the pitcher. The right foot should be place on the inside edge of the base.
- He should be alert to a pickoff move at any time.
- Once the pitcher moves toward the plate, the first baseman must move off the bag directly into the field of play, slightly inside the first base line.
- He should get in a position to receive the baseball should it be hit down to first base.