Playing First BaseBy
We are starting a series of post’s on how to play first base the right way. Over the next few days we will post the fundamentals of playing firstbase.
You will discover…
- What type of player shoudl play the position
- The fundamentals of the position
- Footwork needed
- How to correctly receive the throws
- Throwing from first base
- Holding runners
- Fielding at first base
Today we will start with what qualities and skills make a good first baseman.
Playing First Base – Qualifications and Skills
What type of player should play first base?
- Have above average height
- Left handed but not a complete necessity
- Should be able to move quickly and make quick decisions
- Good reflexes, agility and coordination is needed
- Arm strength is not a concern but the player should throw accurately
- Must be able to catch well and can move around to catch errant throws
Tomorrow we will start our look into the fundamentals of playing first base.